Request to reconsider removal of groff from base system

While reading the INSTALL notes for amd64 today, I learned that groff(1)
is to be phased out in a future release, since man pages are handled
with mandoc(1), and groff(1) can still be found in pkgsrc as textproc/groff.

As someone who uses groff as a lightweight alternative to TeX and
friends**, I wonder if it could be kept in the base system. One of my
NetBSD systems is a small VPS server, where I don't have any need, or
indeed much space, to use pkgsrc. I maintain a couple of other NetBSD
systems as backup servers, and pkgsrc is not installed on them either,
but I do use groff to format automated {daily,weekly,monthly} reports.

I would be disappointed to see groff removed from the base system. It
is a nice fit for NetBSD's minimalist philosophy, and I ask that the
decision to remove it be reconsidered. Thank you.

** http://www.schaffter.ca/mom/mom-03.html

--
Gerard Lally