No Console Output - 6.5.1 HVM domU

First I must be clear in saying that I’m using a service provider’s Xen environment so I DO NOT have access to the host.  I’m only provided access to read console output logs, which is where I’m stuck.

I have a PV NetBSD domU working just fine (with guest console output), and now I’m trying to create an HVM from scratch, and have GRUB2 set up with a chainloader +1 to start my boot process.   The provider has told me that my guest *is* booting, but getting caught up on the device names, likely due to a dumb misconfiguration on my part since I’m going from PV to HVM.  They say I need to fix my console output so I can see the errors and debug it for myself.  They are right: I do need to fix the console output for these and any other potential future boot issues.

So, my objective now is to get the Xen guest console output working, and I have tried a number of things to no avail:
* boot.cfg
Renu=Boot normally:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;consdev com0;boot netbsd
…or…
Renu=Boot normally:rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;console=com0;boot netbsd

* GENERIC kernel’s serial console config
options        CONSDEVNAME="\"com\"",CONADDR=0x2f8,CONSPEED=57600

* vanilla XEN3_DOMU kernel

I feel like I’m dancing around it, but I’m flying blind at the moment so any hints would be helpful as I continue hacking at this.