NPF syntax

I have decided to give up on pf after banging my head against the wall
(and the OBSD mailing list) and try npf but I can't figure out the
syntax.  I followed the example at http://www.netbsd.org/~rmind/npf/
but I keep getting errors when I validate.  I reduced npf.conf to the
following two lines:

table <friends> type tree file "/VEX/general/pf/friends.list"
table <enemies> type tree file "/VEX/general/pf/enemies.list"

This gives me this error:

# npfctl validate
npfctl: table '0' is already defined

If I remove one line I get this:

# npfctl validate
table <0> type tree

If I put the full file and comment out the table lines I get this:

# npfctl validate
/etc/npf.conf:11:3: syntax error near 'alg'

I am using the example config almost verbatim except for the table
names and file paths.

What am I missing here?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>