Exiting X blanks out the screen instead of showing console

I use native X11 of NetBSD 6.1 on i386.

Xorg log recogizes the hardware as:

(II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics
Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS

lspci shows it as:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core
processor Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Is it possible to do something so that I get my console back on exiting X?
Even an ad hoc solution (such as running a script when exiting X) will do.

Mayuresh.