Re: problems configuring jabber server

    From: Ezequiel Reyes Aragon <ezequiel%ecaribe.co.cu@localhost> [150219 16:48]
    Hi all,
    I am trying to setup a jabber server. I first tried prosody, since
    I was looking for a server with few binary dependencies and this
    depends only on lua packages. It installed ok, but fails while
    booting. I searched the net and found that prosody works well with
    lua 5.1 but fails with lua 5.2, I don't understand why netbsd's
    prosody binary is depedent on a lua version that will not let it
    run. Then, I tried jabberd, it has lots of depedencies, but once
    installed and configured ran ok. I tried using sqlite for storage
    but the logs said sqlite could not write to the user
    authentication table in the database because the table did not
    exist. Did I miss something while configuring? Should I have run
    any script for populating the sqlite database before runing
    jabberd daemons?
    I need a jabber server with as few depedencies as posible,
    something lean, and if it can be a binary package, much better.
    Another question: Is there any jabber server that uses standard
    unix accounts as source for its users, instead of using sqlite,
    mysql, postgres, ldap or any other alternative means of storage?

    thanks

Hi Ezequiel,
I use the quite ancient jabberd-1.4.2nb9 - there is no sql database
required. If I remember right, the developer rewrote the whole thing and
some later versions have all the dependencies and sql. Also I think
there were two version on the NetBSD pkg-servers. The 1.4 something and
the 2.something. The early version is the slim one without the database
and lua and all.

It has almost no documentation, but in the config file are enough hints
to get it running. Works well on my server.

If you need something for a start, I can send you my config files. Let
me know.

Cheers
herb langhans