Re: Aligning things for SSDs

tg%gmplib.org@localhost (=?utf-8?Q?Torbj=C3=B6rn?= Granlund) writes:

>I made some experiements.  The partitioning tool step which allows
>changes will show 'end' as the last sector + 1.

Questionable wether this should be "corrected". With sector counts
it is easy to understand, but try to display this accurately
in cylinders or Mega/Gigabytes when you chose non-fractional
partition sizes. I find "end" being the start of a possibly
following partition quite understandable.

>Unless I am much mistaken, almost every NetBSD install on an SSD will
>end up aligning things very poorly, since the odd offset 63 will
>propagate when sizes are given in MB. I think such non-alignment hurt
>spinning rust too.

The heuristic used by the installer is to use the track size (a fake 63
for most disks) for disks up to 128GB and 2048 for disks larger than 128GB.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost