tar / pax with greater than 8 gig files?

Hi,

It's 2015 and I'd thought by now we'd have tar / pax which could handle files larger than 8 gigs. gnutar from pkgsrc apparently does, but it doesn't handle spanning tapes.

gnutar and supposedly BSD-tar does this, but NetBSD's tar does not:

Numeric values are encoded in octal numbers using ASCII digits, with leading zeroes. For historical reasons, a final NUL or space character should be used. Thus although there are 12 bytes reserved for storing the file size, only 11 octal digits can be stored. This gives a maximum file size of 8 gigabytes on archived files. To overcome this limitation, star in 2001 introduced a base-256 coding that is indicated by setting the high-order bit of the leftmost byte of a numeric field. GNU-tar and BSD-tar followed this idea. Additionally, versions of tar from before the first POSIX standard from 1988 pad the values with spaces instead of zeroes.

Does anyone know why we don't?

John