Re: NetBSD for the dekstop

Stephan wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there anyone still interested in bringing NetBSD to the desktop?

By NetBSD on desktop I understand to have:
1. A choice of using full featured main modern DE: KDE4, Gnome3 and their relatives like MATE.

2. Stable DRM (X Window), slacking USB cable not panicking the system (it happens to me often, as I'm connected to internet via USB), support for more NICs.

3. Graphical installer.

For the installer part I was talking with the authors of Calamares "Distribution-independent installer framework" ( http://calamares.io ). They are willing to accept patches for NetBSD, but they won't write the code themselves.

With Calamares it could be possible to produce a amd64-oriented CD with preinstalled desktop packages.

I know that NetBSD users live without the above features, but to penetrate the desktop share of common users they are needed.

BTW. I use NetBSD on my home desktop with dwm + terminator + firefox.