Re: NetBSD for the dekstop

On 17 February 2015 at 13:24, Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 01:29:11PM +0100, Stephan wrote:
>> Is there anyone still interested in bringing NetBSD to the desktop?
>
> I use NetBSD on desktops and laptops.
>
> What specific characteristics do you think NetBSD needs to "bring" it to
> desktop? (Also, I didn't get "still" part of it.)

I've also been a primary NetBSD desktop user since sometime in the last 1990s.

Current usage is on an amd64 laptop with Firefox, LibreOffice (and
google apps for quick doc/spreadsheet), jwm wm, and the standard set
of rdesktop, gimp, vncviewer, inkspace etc.

The experience could definitely be better. If I had to make a list it
might include:
- The drm2 work for NetBSD-7 - I'm using the beta now, but its
probably not production ready
- Working laptop suspend/resume
- Chromium (for more browser choice)
- Better video support under Firefox
- Better audio handling (muxing of output)
- Not defaulting to twm (there is already another thread on this,
ctwm/golem have been mentioned)
- More stable flash (ick, but...)