Re: NetBSD for the dekstop

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 07:33:14PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 03:45:42PM +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:
> > > What specific characteristics do you think NetBSD needs to "bring" it to
> > > desktop? (Also, I didn't get "still" part of it.)
> >
> > Lack of modern, working web browsers was the main reason for me to switch to
> > an other os in desktop use.  Office software is another reason.
>
> Just out of curiosity. Didn't firefox and libreoffice meet your
> requirements? I use those two on NetBSD - the latter very rarely though -
> which suffice for my usage.

I was never able to get any browser running on NetBSD to properly run flash
and other hideous things which are required these days.  The browsers were
pretty old versions, too.  Maybe things have got better now, don't know.

I was using OpenOffice, but it was buggy (and so is LibreOffice - I'm trying
to learn LyX at the moment because I got tired of the formatting problems,
lagging etc. of LibreOffice).

Maybe I'll give NetBSD a try on my older desktop system after getting the new
one into production use.. :)

  -jm