Re: ntpd not correcting system time, offset keeps increasing

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 08:48:34AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost (Michael van Elst) writes:
>
> > scar%drigon.com@localhost (scar) writes:
> >
> >># ntpq -p
> >>     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> >>jitter
> >>==============================================================================
> >>+Maggie.Telcom.A 132.163.4.102    2 u    6   64  377    0.455  297275.
> >>19.763
> >

> > You only configured a single time server and this is below the
> > configured number of "sane" time servers. That's why ntp ignores it.
> >
> > If you only have one time server you need something like:
> >
> > tos            minsane 1
>
> Entirely accurate, but it is not reasonable to run with a single server;
> that's not how NTP is designed and it's less robust.

That's how NTP _is_ designed, we are talking about servers, not peers
and ntpd always only choses a single server from possibly multiple
candidates.

And of course, it is less robust if you only have one server. In
particular, there is nothing that prevents you from synchronizing
to a wrong time.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst