Re: ntpd not correcting system time, offset keeps increasing

On 13 Jan 2015 at 18:43, scar wrote:

> ntpd does not seem to be doing it's job.  i have Ver. 4.2.6p5 installed
> on 6.1.5 and after 51 days of uptime, the system clock is 5 minutes
> behind and the offset just keeps increasing.  ntpdate seems to work fine
> when the system boots, but ntpd just isn't maintaining the time after boot.
>
> here is my ntpd.conf:  http://pastebin.com/EbxzPBw7
>
> i noticed /var/db/ntp.drift doesn't exist which sounds important to keep
> the time maintained....

Hi

I'm using ntp-4.2.8p1-beta1 NetBSD/6.1_STABLE

Ntpd needs to be in sync for quite some time before the
driftfile is created/populated.

What ntpd related lines do you have in /etc/rc.conf

I have:
| ntpdate=YES ntpdate_flags="-4 -b -s"
| ntpd=YES
| ntpd_flags="-g -N -p /var/run/ntpd.pid"

Note:
(1) you should not have same ntpd options in both rc.conf and
ntp.conf otherwise ntpd might not start.

(2) ntpdate is now deprecated but I find with above that ntpd
syncs within 5 to 15 minutes which nearly always results in
no reduction in my pool score after reboots or ntpd restarts,
ie scores stay at 20.

David