Re: Low power machine

On 20 November 2014 09:18, Christoph Kaegi <kach%msw.ch@localhost> wrote:
> On 19.11-19:05, Dustin Marquess wrote:
>     > Sorry if this is slightly OT.
>     >
>     > I'm looking for recommendations for an enclosed, stable low power draw
>     > machine that is NetBSD-friendly to install in a remote location for
>     > two purposes:
>     >
>     > - A single nailed-up OpenVPN tunnel
>     > - A small unbound DNS resolver install
>     >
>     > So far I've been looking at a Raspberry Pi Model B+ and a Beaglebone
>     > Black, but I'm not sure of the status on those two exact models.  I've
>     > also been looking at the Intel NUCs, but those are in another class
>     > when it comes to power draw.
>     >

> Hi Dustin
>
> We use ALIX Boards. There's also the newer and faster APU Boards,
> but I haven't run them with NetBSD yet.
>
>   http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm
>   http://www.pcengines.ch/apu.htm

We've been using the Alix2 boards undre netbsd-6 for a while for
remote OpenVPN boxes and been very happy with them. They can run via
POE as well which is a nice option.

We use the 3 ethernet models:

Internal VPN enabled Ethernet, running dhcpd
Internal VPN denied Ethernet, running dhcpd
External Ethernet, dhcpcd
Optional External wifi, preconfigured wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd
Optional USB android tether external (for final fallback :)

However those 64bit APU boards look nice... mmm, they even fit the same cases :)