Re: Sun Fire X4140

Hello!

> I was very, very impressed to see an oldish (mid-2013) NetBSD 6 install
> on this machine (I didn't have a more recent CD to hand), with hardware
> RAID, network adapters and video all working.

I have bunch of this servers and yes, NetBSD support it almost fully.
You seem to be lucky getting X4140 with LSI SAS adapter, because some
of them has Adaptec, which is not supported.

> I tried a recent Linux as
> well but it failed to set up the network adapters.

X4140 has strange NVIDIA bridges and network enumerator devices,
which can cause problems. My configurations has many of them
including Debian 6/7 and NetBSD 6 working for years in production.

> I plan to put NetBSD 7 on this over the next few days.

Don't forget to update server firmware, because X4140 has nice but
weak service processor and it is most vulnerable part of this server.

Stock ILOM version can brick itself if it work for long time unattended.
Still don't know reasons, but I have 3 bricks for past 5 yrs. Maybe
they get offended without human attention?

Also don't be surprised if serial port speed between server and ILOM
will change to default by itself - it's okay for any ILOM version :))

--
Sincerely yours