Re: Network redundancy (Linux bonding/Solaris IPMP)

Am Sonntag, 12. Oktober 2014, 20:25:05 schrieb Manuel Bouyer:
> > Or does NetBSD did not know the concept of a IP of a bridge (as i.e. on
> > linux) or is there any other official comparable concept?
> On NetBSD there's no concept of a IP of a bridge.
ah, OK,
now i got the point.

It seem's netBSD is going another way then Linux or other Free/OpenBSD here - this was new to me.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/de_DE.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-bridging.html
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#Bridge

Is there any reason why NetBSD does not offer such a feature?

I agree that a bridge primarily is a "level 2 tool", but we have several applications/appliances where the ability to configure an IP (level 3) on a bridge interface (level 2) is very handy (as often to find even in other, much more famous applications) as it easily can be done even before / without any interface bound to the bridge.

One of my targets in mind is to migrate some of that "apps" to NetBSD in the future for different reasons. So it would be nice to understand the reason[s] behind this difference.

sorry for the noise so far.

many thanks and cheerioh,

Niels.
--