Re: netbsd-6 CVS branch amd64 build fails with gcc internal error

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 09:12:01PM -0500, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
> On 9/23/14, 3:58 PM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> >> Hmm, I just noticed the following error message on the machine's
> >> console:
> >>
> >>   UVM: pid 19753 (cc1), uid 1000 killed: out of swap
> >>
> >> So, maybe I am running out of memory?
> >
> > Yes. gcc can become really large sometimes ...
>
> OK, the machine had 256 MB of swap and 256 MB of RAM; I increased the
> RAM to 512 MB, leaving the swap unchanged, and the build succeeded!
>
> I didn't realize a build took so much memory.  Thanks for the help!

I have a machine with even less RAM, 128M, and I succeeded in building
the system on it (although I would not do it again, since it took more
than a day to complete.)  Where I had trouble with running out of
memory was in updating the binary package database with "pkgin".  I
simply added another 128M of swap and then it worked for me.

--
Roy Bixler <rcbixler%nyx.net@localhost>
"The fundamental principle of science, the definition almost, is this: the