Recent video-related commits: summary wanted

There have been many video-related commits to the source tree recently,
which I am doing my best to understand. Radeon, nouveau, drm, kms, and
the like. It would be nice if someone would summarise what is happening
and what difference it makes, and whether NetBSD 7 will benefit. A
question I have for starters: do these changes bring native X up to date
in -7, and if so would there be any compelling reason to choose modular
X instead?

--
Gerard Lally