tmux messes up my backspace character

It seems that tmux translates the erase character, but it should not do
that.

In my xterms I have set the option "Backarrow key" which causes the key
labeled "backspace" to generate an actual backspace (control-H)
character. Correspondingly, I have set "stty erase ^H".

Inside tmux, if I hit Backspace, I get a DEL character (^?). And somehow
it has set "stty erase ^?" as well. So apparently it translates the
external erase character to an internal one.

All is good and well, but this means I can't type ^H any more! And there
are several programs where I would want that, such as mutt and vim.

The manual doesn't contain the word "erase"... is there any less obvious
way to stop tmux doing this annoying thing? I simply want my internal
erase character the same as the external one, and no messing about with
translating backspace.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'