Re: specs for a netbsd build system?

Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh%kathe.in@localhost> writes:

> i have no idea about what kind of hardware would be required for
> performing an entire netbsd build within acceptable time-frames,
> say 1 hour (without x win).
>
> may i please get advice on rough specifications for the same?
> stuff like;
> 1. preferable processor (intel! amd!),
> 2. processing power (clock rate, number of cores, cache, etc),
> 3. memory (size and type),
> 4. hard disk (space and type),
>
> i have a budget of around us$600.

Building all of NetBSD (with build.sh) takes some amount of time when
starting from scratch.  Doing an update build (-u) means that most
things don't get rebuilt if nothing has changed, and is much faster.

At this point, given that you want something PCish, you definitely want
to get something that can run in amd64 mode, so it can have more memory.

I think as long as you have 50G of disk to devote to src/obj and 4G of
RAM, and a processor from the last 5 years, you'll be fine, assuming you
are just building only a few branch/arches.   I can't see you wanting
more than 200G for NetBSD itself.  (pkgsrc bulk builds are piggier;
there are ~1E4 packages.)

As a concrete datapoint, I have a system (probably 1.5 years old):

  cpu0 at mainbus0 apid 0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, id 0x206a7
  cpu1 at mainbus0 apid 2: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, id 0x206a7
  cpu2 at mainbus0 apid 4: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, id 0x206a7
  cpu3 at mainbus0 apid 6: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, id 0x206a7
  [hyperthreading disabled; note the even APID values]
  total memory = 3569 MB
  avail memory = 3497 MB

  running NetBSD/i386 for historical reasons, even though the box has
  16G of RAM.  That's a clue that using only 3.5 of 16G has not annoyed
  me enough to switch.  But you should definitely start out in amd64 mode.

  128G SSD for root/usr
  1T regular disk for other stuff

This computer cost about $1100, with a nice case and power supply,
already built/tested (it's at work), but I don't really remember - it
might have been only $900.  It's far more than you need, though.

It does a full release build (all the way to ISO), including X, with -u
(and a previous build done) of the i386 sources in about 24 minutes.  My
belief is that even if the very first time takes 8 hours, that's ok,
because you'll be doing -u most of the time.  I think it takes one to a
few hours to do the first build, but I don't really know/remember
because it happens so rarely.  I just start a script to build several
arches and check it the next day.

I have source trees for 4/5/6/current, and obj/tooldir/destdir/releasedir
for multiple architectures, a total of 16 combinations.  This is all
fitting in a 1T disk without really noticing it.  My /usr/obj (which has
releasedir/destdir/tooldir in it also) for NetBSD-current and 7
architectures is 58G.  You definitely want to leave those and use -u.

We also have a box with 12 real CPUs and 12G of RAM:

  cpu11 at mainbus0 apid 52: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5675  @ 3.07GHz,
id 0x206c2

and some SSD and some hardware raid scsi.  It's definitely a lot faster
- I think it can do a full build with no objdir in 25 minutes -- but
it's way too expensive for your price point, rackmount, power-hungry,
etc.  and also totally unnecessary.

A further datapoint is that I have also used a machine with 1 CPU (with
hyperthreading) and 2G of RAM:

  cpu0 at mainbus0 apid 0: Intel 686-class, 3400MHz, id 0xf43

This was new in 2006.   It would probably be a little too slow for you,
but I bet it would do.  I built netbsd on it until a few years ago, and
stopped because I wanted to maintain fewer source trees with my
private tweaks, more than I wanted to avoid building on it.

Given that you said $600, I would try to get a 1T disk, 8G of RAM, and a
4-core processor, backing away from the very top speeds that seem to
cost way extra, and put it together yourself.  I haven't priced things
lately, so I don't know if that fits.  The increase in speed lately has
been slowing, but newer motherboards do have faster memory that the
older ones, and caches are often bigger.  But you may be able to get
some gamer friend's 3 year old system which is probably just fine.

The big question is getting a motherboard where the builtin graphics
works well with X, if you want to run that.