Re: optimum building distribution commands

On 12 Jun 2014 at 18:57, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to build my NetBSD distribution from current I do:
>
>   ./build.sh -O ../obj -T ../tools -U -x distribution
> sudo ./build.sh -O ../obj -T ../tools -U -x install=/
>
> However, I notice that the second command essentially seems to recompile
> everything, it takes a looong time (as in hours). Am I doing something
> wrong, or do I miss some option? I'd ideally build as user and then just
> install with sudo.
>
> Riccardo

Hi

you also need the "-u" option to specify MKUPDATE=yes

As from about 2013-09 I've been using sysutils/sysbuild
which uses still broken script sysbuild4cron to schedule
automatic builds. I tried configuring to build all of
nbsd-6/i386, nbsd-6/amd64, nbsd-cur/i386 and
nbsd-cur/amd64 but that ground to a halt due to memory
and swap exhaustion so I split to have four separate
build directories, 20G each (much duplicated wasted disk
space), and that works very well. I've added a script to
put kernels and sets into a "latest" directory which is
then used by a system update script.

David