Can NetBSD on USB stick force root to be identified as sd0a?

Is there any way to force a USB installation to identify the root as sd0a, when
the disk number would normally be variable?

I could put in kernel config

config netbsd root on sd0a type ffs

but would NetBSD still decide for itself and fail to boot if it decides some
other device is sd0?

Or would NetBSD actually recognize boot device as sd0?

Other possibility is to go to BIOS/UEFI and set boot priority with the NetBSD
USB installation first.  I haven't tested that yet.

This question is mainly for NetBSD 6.x as opposed to -current, where I could
use NAME= with GPT partitioning.

I am practically abandoning NetBSD 5.x, not updating any more, doing very
little on 6.x , but have a 6.x USB-stick installation that I might want to
update, both i386 and amd64.

Tom