Re: /etc/fstab in NetBSD < current when device numbers are variable

On 19 April 2014 08:07, Thomas Mueller <>
> Here is my /etc/fstab from NetBSD 6.1-STABLE on 8 GB Kingston Data Traveler:
> # NetBSD /targetroot/etc/fstab
> # See /usr/share/examples/fstab/ for more examples.
> /dev/sd0a               /       ffs     rw,log           1 1
> /dev/sd0b               none    swap    sw,dp            0 0
> kernfs          /kern   kernfs  rw
> ptyfs           /dev/pts        ptyfs   rw
> procfs          /proc   procfs  rw
> /dev/cd0a               /cdrom  cd9660  ro,noauto
> Problem is I don't always know if USB stick will be /dev/sd0, and an internal
> media reader can play further havoc with device numbers.
> NetBSD-current with NAME= gets around that problem.
> What do you do for /etc/fstab?

I have more or less the same fstab. What happens if you stop the boot,
drop to command line and type:

Can you see the Netbsd partition from there?

The bootloader will probably see it as hd1a or hd2a.