Re: Making a localized, educational live-usb version of Netbsd? Possible, and is worth it?

On 4 Apr 2014 at 21:45, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

> On 4 April 2014 21:13, Aleksej Saushev <> wrote:
> >> 2) Can I start for an existing Netbsd-based live distro? Apparently
> >> I've been told it's not a good idea.
> >
> > Sorry? It looks like a misinterpretation, since I didn't see this.
> > In fact, I'd say that it would be great to try it out.
> Then I misunderstood what you wrote here:
> I thought you meant it wasn't a good starting point. But I see you
> have a project going on, so I'm looking forward to give a look at it
> when it's ready.

My attempts at an install system from a usb stick
eventually worked well and was useful on my systems
without cdrom drive. Unfortunately I managed to
overwrite it. There were two downsides to my usb
stick, although on a 16 G stick I only had about
500 MB of space with install system taking up most
of that, secondly it was painfully slow.

I've just now reinstalled the stick with 5 GB used
for the filesystem:

Filesystem   Size  Used  Avail
root_device  4.9G  443M   4.2G

It needs some cleaning up but it boots ok.

I also have NetBSD-6.1_STABLE-i386-live-sd0root.img.gz
built from sysbuild, that can be transferred using 'dd'.