Re: disk numbering

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:01:18PM +1300, Mark Davies wrote:
|On Tuesday 11 March 2014 19:44:47 you wrote:
|> To be perfectly honest, I don't understand why you (or anyone) would
|> require that. Why might *I* need that, for example?
|
|In this particular case the ahcisata connected drives are internal and
|always there whereas the siisata connected ones are external and are
|sometimes attached sometimes not. I'd rather not have my primary system
|disk sometimes called wd0, sometimes wd1 and sometimes wd2 depending on
|what external disks are attached at the time.

Someone else beat me to it, but for some time I have set up broken
RAIDFrame mirrors with autoconfigure root set for this reason alone.
When RAIDFrame starts it automagically re-mounts the root filesystem
from the raid device rather than whatever it actually booted from.

It can be annoying to set up, however I have been able to script this
with few problems for when I'm building new hosts

There are drawbacks - last time I tried this on a laptop I was unable
to suspend the laptop as the raid driver (at the time) didn't allow for
this ... I'm not sure whether that's been fixed as I haven't tried it on
a physical host for a while.

Being able to boot a host from any disk and just have /etc/fstab
Just Work was very useful, though if you have two RAIDFrame mirrors
configured to autoconfigure to the same raid device, be prepared for
pain as one will get shunted to a spare raid device instance number and
will keep that on subsequent boots.

Regards,
Malcolm

--