[RAIDframe] system hangs while manipulating large files

Hi and Happy New year fellow NetBSD users,

I'm setting up a RAID5 NAS using NetBSD 6.1.2/amd64. The RAID5 array is used as
a media storage system, it is composed of 3x2T SATA disks. I followed various
on-line documents such as:

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-rf.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2011/09/02/msg008979.html
http://abs0d.blogspot.fr/2011/08/setting-up-8tb-netbsd-file-server.html
http://pbraun.nethence.com/unix/sysutils_bsd/raidframe.html

I've copied about 10G of data composed of 1 to 100M files, everything went
smoothly. Then, in order to have some performances figures, I used `dd' like
this:

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=./test bs=1m count=5000

withing a couple of seconds, the whole system becomes irresponsive and hangs
totally but does not panic. I have reproduced this behaviour a couple of times,
the system hangs everytime.

Here's the RAID setup:

$ cat /etc/raid1.conf
START array
# numRow numCol numSpare
1 3 0

START disks
/dev/wd1a
/dev/wd3a
/dev/wd5a

START layout
# sectPerSU SUsPerParityUnit SUsPerReconUnit RAID_level_5
32 1 1 5

START queue
fifo 100

and here's how I did the setup:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd1d bs=8k count=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd3d bs=8k count=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd5d bs=8k count=1
disklabel -r -e -I wd1 # s/4.2BSD/RAID/
disklabel -r -e -I wd3 # s/4.2BSD/RAID/
disklabel -r -e -I wd5 # s/4.2BSD/RAID/
raidctl -v -C raid1.conf raid1
raidctl -v -I `date +%s` raid1
raidctl -v -A yes raid1
raidctl -i raid1
gpt add -b 128 raid1
dkctl raid1 addwedge export 128 7814058015 ffs
newfs -O2 -b64k dk0
tunefs -m0 raid1
mount -o rw,log,async,noatime /dev/dk0 /export

Any hint? Have someone already faced this issue?

Thanks

Emile `iMil' Heitor .°. <imil@{home.imil.net,NetBSD.org,gcu.info}>
                                                                _