Where to put custom fonts?

Hello, I have  a laptop with a Windows 7 Home partition. On the Netbsd
partition I have a standard installation of X11 from the core binary
system. I did install liberation-ttf fonts but they were nowhere as
good and I removed them.

I was thinking of copying the ttf fonts from Windows somewhere on the
Netbsd partition. I don't have fontconfig (yet) but I have fc-cache.

What would be the best practice? Can I put these fonts on any of these

or alternatively create a custom local directory?

Would /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/local/ be the right place?

And would I make sure that these fonts are cached every time the system boots?