Re: Issues with Firefox and sound control

Hi,

From: Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost>, Date: Sat,
16 Nov 2013 10:24:08 +0000

> [...]
>>
>> From: Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost>, Date:
>> Fri, 15 Nov 2013 23:25:04 +0000
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have an almost entirely usable desktop installation of Netbds 6.1.2
>>> on my Thinkpad X61 (64 bit - 2G RAM).
>>>
>>> I have installed both Firefox24 and Firefox17. I haven't installed the
>>> Flash plugin yet as I wanted to investigate what I can get without
>>> Flash.
>>>
>>> Sound is working ok on the command line, but with the latest Firefox
>>> (Nightly 24) I have no sound at all. With Firefox17 I do have sound,
>>> however the built-in volume controls don't work and the hardware
>>> volume switches are a bit erratic (they work fine on the command
>>> line).
>>>
>>> Output from firefox  (both 17 and 24)
>>>
>>> bash-4.2$ firefox17
>>>
>>> (firefox:290): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon
>>> 'gtk-go-back-ltr'. The 'hicolor' theme
>>> was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
>>> You can get a copy from:
>>>         http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases
>>>
>>> (firefox:290): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into
>>> `/home/oc/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to
>>> create file '/home/oc/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.J4LU6W': No such
>>> file or directory
>>>
>>> (firefox:290): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of
>>> `/home/oc/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file
>>> or directory
>>>
>>> output from startx :
>>>
>>> /usr/pkg/bin/bash: amixer: command not found
>>> /usr/pkg/bin/bash: amixer: command not found
>>> /usr/pkg/bin/bash: amixer: command not found
>>>
>>> So I though the problem was with alsa. After installing alsa-utils I get:
>>>
>>> mixer attach default error, no such file or directory.
>>>
>>> Running amixer as root gives the same error.
>>> It looks like alsamixer cannot find a mixer device.
>>>
>>> What should I do: wait until the sound issue is resolved on the latest
>>> FF or fix the problem with alsa?
>>>
>>> Has anybody got the same problem?
>>>
>>> And incidentally, can anybody recommend me a good and lightweight X11
>>> based mixer?
>>
>> Which version of pkgsrc/www/firefox or firefox24 is used?
>>
>> firefox-24.0 from pkgsrc-2013Q3 has the problem of sound output.
>> I am preparing pullup request now.
>>
>> If you use firefox24 from pkgsrc current, options.mk has no --disable-alsa
>> and something goes wrong.
>> As far as I know, ALSA support does not work properly on NetBSD/amd64
>> 6.99.25,
>> NetBSD/{amd64,i386} 6.1.
>> Pulseaudio support is enabled by default on NetBSD.
>>
>> --
>> Ryo ONODERA // ryo_on%yk.rim.or.jp@localhost
>> PGP fingerprint = 82A2 DC91 76E0 A10A 8ABB  FD1B F404 27FA C7D1 15F3
>
> Thanks. I was pretty sure there was a bug in Firefox. Incidentally I'm
> curious to understand why the Firefox package comes branded as Nightly
> while the sources are definitely from the -release repos?

There is license issue. The name of Firefox is proprietary owned by
Mozilla. If you can understand their trademark policy, you can
set PKG_OPTIONS.firefox{,24}=official-mozilla-branding option,
and you can get Firefox browser.

> And going back to the hardware volume buttons, that's where the errors
> came from. Can you recommend a simple volume mixer for X?

I have used audio/xmix some years ago.
Now I use mixerctl(1) directly from my terminal.