Raspberry Pi as a print server w/ Samsung CLX-3180 Series printer

Hello,

I've decided my Raspberry Pi running -current would make a nice print
server (mostly because it's running 24/7 anyway), so I decided I'd start
tinkering with lpd and so on, because I didn't want to bother compiling
cups. (Sadly I still ended up compiling a2ps and ghostscript)

dmesg reports that my printer does properly attach to /dev/ulpt0:

-snip-
ulpt0 at uhub1 port 3 configuration 1 interface 1
ulpt0: Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. CLX-3180 Series, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 4,
iclass 7/1
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
-snip-

but when I redirect files there, the printer makes happy beepy noises,
heats up and then does not actually print. The same thing goes for
printing via lpd, the jobs apparently make it to the printer and vanish
from the print queue but there is no hardcopy. Any ideas what I might be
doing wrong? Does anyone have any experience with Samsung printers and
NetBSD?

Best regards,

Moritz