[RESOLVED] Re: cannot configure X in 6.1.2

Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> I cannot beleive Xorg is so broken on netbsd-6 branch that I cannot
> configure ant X card. What is wrong with Xorg -configure?

Resolved: Just running startx or xdm works, which means Xorg is fine
without a config file. But I need to adjust minor things in the
configuration, which is done in a config file.

I compared the log file when running with the generated config file and
without, and that gave me a hint that this was about modules. And
indeed, if I remove the Modules section from the generaed config file,
Xorg guess what it needs and it works.

It can work that way  even further: the config file can just contain
ServerLayout, Files, and InputDevice sections to setup keyboard layout,
and let Xorg guess everything about the graphic card and the screen.

In the end, here is my xorg.conf config file, obtained from Xorg
-configure and cleaned up to the essential. (AccelMethod shadowfb fixes
a problem with colors I have with the Radeon 3200)

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R7/lib/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "DontVTSwitch"  "off"
        Option  "DontZap"       "off"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option "XkbRules"       "xorg"
        Option "XkbModel"       "pc105"
        Option "XkbLayout"      "fr"
        Option "XkbVariant"     "latin9"
        Option "XkbOptions"     "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "wsmouse"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/wsmouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Option     "AccelMethod"                "shadowfb"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "radeonhd"
EndSection

Section "Screen"