smart update for pkgsrc

Hi guys,

how do you update your packages, when using compiling them from source?

The way I am using since ages, is:

1) run lintpkgsrc, check the output
2) update first critical packages (e.g. sudo or shell) and then libraries by coing into its directory and doing "make update"
3) after a couple of updates, re-run lintpkgsrc and continue

this process works but is tedious. Often it gets interrupted that a certain package can't be insalled, usually it is an unclean workdir (even if make update cleans.. it happens). I remove it, reissue make update, it continues, but at the end I might have unreinstalled packages (which might explain the dirty workdirs).

Also, if I have to update two libraries which cause both a dependency on a larger tookit and/or application, I rebuild the whole tree twice. With monstrum applications like firefox or thunderbird (and now with gtk3 even emacs) this is quite some pain!

On FreeBSD portupgrade -ay works better. On Gentoo with portage emerge does a very good job with dependencies. One can decide to update everything, but also for example "emerge -Dua library1, application1, library2" will show the dependency tree and rebuild everything only "once" as needed. and it fails quite rarely.

Thanks
  Riccardo