Re: Slow external USB enclosure with SATA disk

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller6724%bellsouth.net@localhost> wrote:
What kind of USB port is your USB3 disk enclosure plugged into?

USB 1.1, 2.0 or 3.0?  I thought NetBSD didn't support USB 3.0; neither does OpenBSD.

Tom

I kind of gave up on this.

I didn't realize that NetBSD doesn't support USB 3.0.

My motherboard isn't even USB 3.0, so I'm using that particular disk on another machine right now, and it's performance is satisfactory.

I tried a 2.5" SATA enclosure that's USB 2.0. It's performing reasonably well.

The last disk was orders of magnitude slower than this. Slower than USB 1.1 should be.

My concern is that it doesn't seem easy for the average user to figure out this problem, or if it is even fixable. I can't find any "tunables".

I'm going to try again on a NetBSD 6 or current machine just to see if there is a difference.

Thanks all.

Andy