5.2 stable panic on i386

I have an i386 machine I use as a server for a media system. I access the storage through samba, and I manage some of the disk space with vnd. One particular vnd backed filesystem is read-only. That is, the vnd disk is configured with vnconfig -r, and it's mounted in a readwrite samba share.

I never had a problem until I browsed it with my new Mac, and it panics. I can consistenly recreate the panic. The machine doesn't write a dump file to /var/crash for whatever reason, but I copied a few of the tracebacks:

Here's one (hand copied, sorry for typos):

Stopped in pid 591.1 smbd at netbsd:breakpoint+0x4: popl %ebp

breakpoint
panic
ffs_blkfree
ffs_realloccg
ffs_balloc
ufs_gop_alloc
ufs_balloc_range
ffs_write
VOP_WRITE
vn_write
dofilewrite
sys_pwrite
syscall

Here's another:

breakpoint
panic
ffs_blkfree
ffs_truncate
ufs_setattr
VOP_SETATTR
sys_ftruncate
syscall

(I might be able to copy all details or run some ddb commands if needed. It would be better if I had a dump file.)

I guess write or setattr shouldn't be allowed in this case, and there should be some error passed back.

This is the machine:

$ uname -a
NetBSD machine 5.2_STABLE NetBSD 5.2_STABLE (MACHINE.JUL25_2013) #0: Thu Jul 25
22:19:26 MST 2013  root@machine:/usr/obj-i386-5/sys/arch/i386/compile/MACHINE.JU
L25_2013 i386

I just built this kernel a few days ago.

I searched open bugs and I don't see anything similar.

Any ideas?

Andy