Re: Fail to get a IP from dhcpcd

On Fri, 24 May 2013, Francisco Valladolid H. wrote:
Recently I installed NetBSD 6.1 release in a old PIII/440BX chipset MB with
intel Fast Ethernet card (fxp driver), whenever when try to get a IP from
dhpcd it don't work correctly and no IP is associated to the nic.

Whenever if the IP is set manually, it work correcly.

This is a bug ?

You should check that you have a carrier on the fxp card with ifconfig. Unlike dhclient, dhcpcd will (by default) only look for a lease on an interface with a live connection. Compare the status lines here (I removed the capabilities lines for clarity):

wm1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        enabled=0
        address: 00:1b:21:6e:42:16
        media: Ethernet autoselect
        status: active
bge0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        enabled=0
        address: 00:1c:c4:d7:79:83
        media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
        status: no carrier

If your interface shows no carrier, but is connected and works when a manual address is configured, then this is a driver bug (not a dhcpcd bug).

You can use the -K flag to dhcpcd to skip the carrier test.

--
Stephen