Re: NetBSD on modern laptops

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 10:35:13AM -0400, rodent%NetBSD.org@localhost wrote:
> Here's the dmesg output of booting NetBSD on some newer laptops:
>
> http://pastebin.ca/2382629
> http://pastebin.ca/2382631
> http://pastebin.ca/2382632

Here's another, for a Lenovo X230:
http://pastebin.ca/2382635

Everything works great except for the X driver which doesn't support
accelleration (3d, but also 2d) for the Intel Ivy Bridge video card.
I guess this requires additional kernel support.

Hybernation probably works in principle, but it refuses to hibernate
due to some drivers not supporting power management:

# sysctl -w hw.acpi.sleep.state=3
hw.acpi.sleep.state: 0 -> 3
# dmesg | tail -n 3
acpi0: entering state S3
Devices without power management support: puc0 com0 umodem0 umodem1 umodem2
acpi0: aborting suspend

I don't know what kind of devices these are, exactly (I'm pretty sure I
don't have three modems in it, and no old-fashioned COM port either), and
if it's possible to disable them somehow.  I tried putting a line with
"userconf disable umodem*" in my /boot.cfg, but that did not disable the
umodem driver.

Overall I'm very happy with this laptop, and NetBSD runs great on it.
The above things are minor annoyances.  The video card not being
completely supported is the biggest annoyance, but I can watch videos
fine with mplayer's "x11" video output driver, because the CPU is strong
enough to render on its own.

Cheers,
Peter
--