Re: Question about nmbclusters

On 2013-05-22 19:07, Konrad Neuwirth wrote:
Hello everyone,

we are currently facing severe problems with nmbclusters on a NetBSD
6.0 generic system (amd64). We're running short of nmbclusters, and I
do not understand how I can increase them.

sysctl kern.mbuf.nmbclusters
kern.mbuf.nmbclusters = 16384

I see that this number is both derived at boot time (writing another
value into the kernel has no effect), but I also cannot turn that
knob. The only value that doesn't lead to an 'invalid argument' error
is 16384. I have no idea what a better value is, but we've outages of
up to ten minutes that take down all network interfaces on that system
(and we're at six networking interfaces, one with three vlans -- and
they're mostly well-used).

So: What can I do to get that value up, to make the system more stable?

Thank you,
Konrad

I am pretty sure you will need to compile this into a new kernel.
I have used:
options         NKMEMPAGES=98352
options         NMBCLUSTERS=65568
in my kernel config file in the past...pretty sure I remember it not being configurable at runtime.

The actual number used is of course up to you and the system resources you have available.

--gene