audiocfg test works but no sound with mplayer; earphones work

I recently changed my hardware and audio on NetBSD stopped working. Would
appreciate some help.

Following are some details:

This is on NetBSD 6.0 on i386.

Following test shows sound working:

#audiocfg test 0
0: [*] audio0 @ hdafg0: Sigmatel product 76df, 2 playback channels
  testing channel 0... done
  testing channel 1... done

The left and right speakers create sound at respective step.

Sound using flash plugin works in firefox.

With mplayer / espeak, there is no sound from the speaker, but with
earphones it works. So I think there is no codec related issue.

#dmesg  | grep -i audi
hdaudio0 at pci0 dev 27 function 0: HD Audio Controller
hdaudio0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 22
hdafg0 at hdaudio0: Sigmatel product 76df
audio0 at hdafg0: full duplex, playback, capture, independent
hdvsmfg at hdaudio0 not configured
hdafg1 at hdaudio0: Intel product 2806

#audioctl -a
name=Sigmatel
version=product 76df
config=01h
encodings=slinear_le:16,slinear_be:16*,ulinear_le:16*,ulinear_be:16*,mulaw:8*,alaw:8*,slinear_le:32,slinear_be:32*,ulinear_le:32*,ulinear_be:32*,ac3:16
properties=full_duplex,independent
full_duplex=0
fullduplex=0
blocksize=8192