Re: TeX Live 2013 pretest binaries [was: Texlive 2012 DVD won't support NetBSD]

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 04:11:29PM +0200, Marc Baudoin wrote:

> Last year, TeX Live dropped NetBSD/i386 distribution in its main
> system.  As a long time (20+ years) user of both LaTeX and
> NetBSD, the blow was harsh on me but I could survive for some
> time with the TeX Live 2012 pretest binaries (which existed for
> NetBSD/i386) and TeX Live 2012 release packages.  Now that TeX
> Live 2013 is in its pretest phase, I need another solution.

There is nothing to worry for the future, since I have extracted the
needles from the haystack. It is called kerTeX, of course runs on
NetBSD, but all Unices, Plan9, MacOS-X and the compilation support is on
the way on Windows (since the programs rely only on C89; MetaPost
scripts will be translated in command or rc (they are sh(1). Packaging
uses a subset of POSIX.2 utilities---and I may as well create an C89
utilities series to relieve this).

KerTeX has been used to create an LaTeX ipad application too.

So, if the TeXlive continues this way, you should look here:

http://www.kergis.com/en/kertex.html

Even when adding LaTeX (it is a package, optional; kerTeX is the
kernel), it is in size 4% of TeXlive ISO image... With just the
kernel and AMS fonts, it is 1%. And just TeX, METAFONT, Computer
Modern, MetaPost and dvips, it is something like 8Mb...

(Note: for kerTeX proper---the building framework and the programs that
were in Public Domain and orphaned---it is a BSD style licence).

FYI,
                      http://www.kergis.com/