Re: Printer recommendations

At Sun, 24 Feb 2013 18:09:21 -0800, "Richard L. Dery"
<dickdery%centurylink.net@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: Printer recommendations

> I recommend to Linux users
>
> Brother
> HP
> Epson
>
> My experience is that if they work in Linux they will work in NetBSD.

I very recently bought a Brother HL-3045CN Kind of on the spur of the
moment because that's what they had on sale at the local Staples in
terms of a decent colour "laser" (LED, actually) printer, and it claimed
it would work fine with OSX, and because it was less than twice as
expensive as buying a replacement cartridge for my ancient and failing
poor old Apple LaserWriter 16/600PS (it served me very well for many
years!).

Indeed the HL-3045 does work very well with OSX, and since it's using
CUPS I'd say it _might_ work OK with stock CUPS installs on any system.

For a slight upgrade the HL-3075CW supports both PCL6 and BR-Script3,
Brother's PostScript clone, so should work with plain LPR and won't need
CUPS.  (Yay! -- too bad they didn't have one at the store!)

I still want to get a Xerox 6700N, because it uses the best colour toner
I know of, and has really nice looking output for colour graphics and
even photos, and because it is a true PostScript printer, but it's also
three to four times the price of the Brother I just bought.  :-)  Their
colour toner seems to be the most stable under longer-term light exposure.

> I suggest people stay away from Lexmark, Dell, and Canon, regardless
> of their operating system.

Stay away from Samsung too, I'd say.  I have a CLX-2160 that interfaced
fine with OSX for network printing, but it has the most asinine
bull-headed unforgiving system hardware for managing supplies and other
expendable components.  I've put new toners and a new imaging unit in
it, but somehow it's ended up with their serial numbers memorized as
bad/used and I can't figure out how to clear its NVRAM (and apparently
the chips in the supplies also apparently remember their state).  Too
many bugs in their firmware.  Their toner isn't very stable under
long-term light exposure either -- the blue especially fades fast.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 250 762-7675        http://www.planix.com/