Re: Telnet login not allowed

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 19:48:38 +0100, Christos Zoulas <> wrote:

In article <>,
Riccardo Mottola  <> wrote:
Ken Hornstein wrote:
telnet          stream  tcp     nowait  root /usr/libexec/telnetd
telnetd -a valid
I think you want to get rid of that "-a valid".
changing -a valid to -a none works indeed, login is used as a fall-back.

I found this:

did something change in our telnetd?

"-a valid" is not supposed to fall back. Otherwise its usefulness is reduced.

You are right. And I checked on an old 2.x machine and the flag wasn't there at all.. this explpains a couple of things then. I was logging in from windows with the standard client and PUTTY (but without configuring the username).