Re: Java as an API (Re: Article on state of graphics drivers on BSDs)

On 2/14/2013 10:40, Martin wrote:
Time was always going to be a factor no matter which way you slice it.

Yeah speed was another concern, but i can't think of another programming
language that can do the same thing as Java, can you?

I can. Ada is more portable than Java. If you are trying for a "write once, run anywhere" solution, you should be looking at Ada. The latest version of gnat (lang/gcc-aux) builds on all four BSDs without failing any tests in the testsuite (well, I'm less sure on OpenBSD, the last time I checked it had couple of failures out of 3200+ tests).

As a strongly typed compiled language, Ada programs execute very fast.

If hypothetically we say it is, well maybe its worth seeing if we can
get other the other *BSD communities on board and see if they have
developers willing to work on it, as the effort would also largely
benefit them too.

If you build it, they will come.

John