Re: How to use x11 nouveau on NetBSD

Can i ask out of curiosity the donation amount that would be needed to get project rolling.

Just an idea... but maybe it would be worthwhile considering sub-categorizing the donations into say the top 5 major projects (like GEM+KSM) that the NetBSD community is really wanting support for.
You could advertise the target amount for each major project and allow the NetBSD community to donate to that particular fund.
The way i see it is that by providing the choice and what people are donating for you are more likely to get the support. Rather than people just donating without any idea of where there money is going.
The other benefit it provides is feedback for what the NetBSD community considers important and a sense of contribution for non-developers and the like.

Separate to that, is it possible to run the propriety Linux nvidia driver or even the Linux Nouveau driver & KMS through the linux emulation layer?

Could that be an alternative for now?

I don't know if the emulation layer allows for direct hardware access or if it is possible to give something like a specific driver the required access. I know from other emulation software they tend not to give direct access for security reasons (malicious code etc). But maybe something like creating a pass-through like what virtualbox does with the CD/DVD drives.

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov%tut.by@localhost> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 1:34 AM, Pierre Pronchery <khorben%defora.org@localhost> wrote:
>                         Hi,
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 22:52:26 +1100, Martin wrote:
>> Is it possible to port the FreeBSD nvidia driver, or the KMS tools they
>> are using?
>
> I do not know the status on FreeBSD. If they got it running without a
> proprietary driver from NVidia, then it would be possible to port it of
> course.

Besides Linux NVidia also supports FreeBSD and Solaris, so, their propriatory
driver is available for these systems. If I understand correctly, the question
was can we port Nvidia's FreeBSD propriatory driver to NetBSD,
technically and legally. AFAIK it doesn't require KMS.

As about nouveau(4) for FreeBSD kib%freebsd.org@localhost is probably a right
person to contact. He worked on porting GEM to FreeBSD and may
have good knowledge about KMS too.

It would be nice to find a developer experienced in this area
and donate for this project (GEM+KMS), IMHO one of the most
important project right now for NetBSD.