Re: NetBSD 6 upgrade removes pty files, causing issues with inferior processes in emacs

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:44:49AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:23:42AM +0100, Peter Bex wrote:
> > So my question is why was this removed, and what's the "correct" way
> > to get programs like Emacs working properly again?  For now I just
> > ran "/dev/MAKEDEV opty" to restore these files.  A fresh NetBSD
> > installation probably also doesn't have these files.
>
> But it has ptyfs mounted on /dev/pts - do you have that?
>
> The ptyfsoldnodes check tests this first and only removes old pty legacy
> nodes if ptyfs is active in /etc/fstab, so you should have it.

Ah, indeed I do.  Thanks for the heads up, I missed the fact I had
this mounted.

> If you have not, something is wrong (like non modular kernel w/o filesystem
> ptyfs support) - and we should probably at least document this.
>
> If you have ptyfs mounted, something is wrong with emacs and we need to
> look there closer.

I guess it needs to attempt to open /dev/pts/N (being the "correct"
way to do this I asked about)?  That, it doesn't do according to a
ktrace.

Cheers,
Peter
--