Re: [6.0-BETA2] A question concerning the NetBSD serial console (ipmi sol inside)

On 08/14/12 18:23, Michael van Elst wrote:
hugo%barafranca.com@localhost (Hugo Silva) writes:

Shouldn't installboot -o console=com1 be equivalent to typing consdev
com1 @ the bootloader, in the sense that in both cases the kernel would
select com1 as the console ?

It maybe does but you could still not see anything with SOL.

This could be because the kernel doesn't get correct BIOS data. Telling
installboot the proper I/O address for the com1 port will then
help.

It could also be one of the simple BMCs that only redirect BIOS I/O
but not anything talking to the hardware directly. In this case
you are probably lost.

But do note that it works after installboot (or selecting COM1 from the installer bootblocks section). It's just before (booting from CD) that it doesn't.