Re: possible fix for strange USB sticks / SD card readers

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 22:57:29 +0200
herbert langhans <herbert.raimund%langhans.com.pl@localhost> wrote:
> Just one issue. I have no clue how to apply this patch. I guess I have
> to put it in the umass-source and recompile? Can anybody give me some
> hint where to start/to read applying this patch. My NetBSD is all
> installed without sources (5.1), just all the working binaries on the
> harddisk.

So you have never compiled a kernel? The first question is whether
you want someone to build one for you, or whether you want to do
it yourself. I recommend the latter of course.
You'll need the kernel sources, eg
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-5.1/source/sets/syssrc.tgz
(or possibly the newer ones from the 5.1.2 subtree).
The patch is applied after unpacking by the patch(1) command:
cd /usr/src
patch -p1 < [patchfile]
(The "-p1" might be needed or not, see the manpage for details.)
For the building itself, look eg here:
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-kernel.html

feel free to ask if you have further questions.

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich