Install kernel problems

For the heck of it, I'm trying to build an install kernel that I will
run from the serial console on my evbarm based Seagate Dockstar. I'm
just trying to copy what I see in an i386 INSTALL kernel.

It doesn't work, this is what I see:

umass0 at uhub1 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: PNY Technologies USB 2.0 FD, rev 2.00/81.92, addr 3
scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <PNY, USB 2.0 FD, 8192> disk removable
sd0: 7728 MB, 15744 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 15826944 sectors
boot device: <unknown>
root on md0a dumps on md0b
cannot mount root, error = 79
root device (default md0a):
dump device (default md0b):
file system (default generic): mfs
use one of: generic udf smbfs ntfs nfs msdos ext2fs ffs cd9660 halt reboot
file system (default generic):
root on md0a dumps on md0b
Supported file systems: udf tmpfs smbfs ptyfs procfs ntfs nfs msdos
mfs kernfs fdesc ext2fs ffs cd9660
no file system for md0 (dev 0x1200)
cannot mount root, error = 79
root device (default md0a):

Errno 79 is this:

79 EFTYPE Inappropriate file type or format. Attempted a file operation
             on a file of a type for which it was invalid.

I assume this is related to the memory disk somehow. Note how mfs
doesn't show up in the "use one of:" line but it does in the
"Supported file systems:" line.

I did add MFS filesystem and md support to the kernel, and I even
tried to hardcode it to boot from md0a with a filesystem type of mfs.

Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Andy