Re: netbsd-6 BETA2: raid starts after cgd.

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 04:29:01PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> On 1 July 2012 16:43, David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> > On 28 June 2012 18:02, Jimmy Johansson <jimmy%update.uu.se@localhost> wrote:
> >> Hi list,
> >>
> >> I upgraded my old file server/backup server at home today. It runs cgd
> >> ontop of two disks running as a raid 1 array. It failed and entered
> >> single user with the error "cdconfig: action failed on /etc/cgd/cgd.conf
> >> line 1".
> >>
> >> My /etc/cgd/cgd.conf looks like this:
> >>
> >> cgd0 /etc/raid1a
> >> cgd1 /etc/raid0b
> >>
> >> cgd0 is where I store my files and cgd1 is my encrypted swap.
> >>
> >> I noticed that if I manually run "/etc/rc.d/cgd start" in single user
> >> and then do "mount -a" and "swapon -a" then everything mounts as it
> >> should. Due to this I concluded that this is probably because cgd is
> >> started before raidframe...
> >>
> >> Everything seems to run as expected if I add "# BEFORE: cgd" to
> >> /etc/rc.d/raidframe, which seems to support that my problem indeed is
> >> that cgd is started before raidframe.
> >>
> >> Starting raidframe before cgd makes more sense in my opinion, because
> >> I'd rather run a cgd ontop of a raid instead of a raid ontop 2 cgds.
> >>
> >> I'd like to finish off by saying that everything else with NetBSD 6 BETA2
> >> has been smooth sailing, except for this little snag.
> >
> > I could see a use case either way, though I agree cgd-on-raid is
> > probably more common than raid-on-cgd.
> >
> > Would anyone have any objections to changing the default?
>
> Just a thought on this - have you tried setting up your raid to
> autoconfigure - that should work and not need the rc.d change (plus
> also be more robust as it no longer needs the raid config file)....

I had not even thought about trying that. The first raid is
autoconfigured, as I boot from that. The second was not.

I just tried autoconfiguring raid1 also and removed the "#BEFORE:
cgd"-line from /etc/rc.d/raidframe and it worked like a charm.

The reason I reacted was that it didn't work as it did in 5.0, but then
maybe it is better to have things as they are now, now you can do both
raid on cgd and cgd on raid. :-)

Thanks for the help!

Regards,

Jimmy
--
If you don't shoot the bearers of bad news, people will keep bringing it to you.