Xorg and Intel GMA

Hi everyone!

I might be doing something wrong (which I certainly hope is the case!) but
Xorg has stopped working for me ever since the 5.x release.

Compiling modular Xorg with either VESA or Intel causes the computer to
crash, after which I have to do a hard reset. This has been so for over a
year now.. In the past, I just grabbed an oooold pkgsrc tree (i.e.
2010Qsomething), but I really need up to date-ish packages! I'm currently at
work, so can't attach any dumps yet.

On various mailing lists, they recommend compiling the kernel with DRM
enabled, but that doesn't help at all unfortunately. Am I missing something
here?