Re: Is there a BSD version of tracepath?

At Fri, 25 May 2012 14:13:01 +0200, Fredrik Pettai <pettai%nordu.net@localhost>
wrote:
Subject: Is there a BSD version of tracepath?

> I was looking for a tool for discovering the MTU on a routed path
> (with several hops), and "tracepath" seems to be the right tool for
> that. However, tracepath is part of (Linux) iputils which seem to be
> just Linux centric.
>
> Is someone aware of and similar tool for *BSD systems?

I think the standard traceroute(8) with it's "-P" option should do what
you seem to be asking for.

There's also an add-on package called "hping" (two versions available in
pkgsrc) which claims to be able to do Path MTU discovery with its "-y"
option, but it doesn't seem to be as easy or automatic to do as it is
with traceroute.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.