Re: Banning installation of particular packages

At Sun, 6 May 2012 14:55:06 +0100, Andrew Smallshaw
<> wrote:
Subject: Banning installation of particular packages
> Is there any way I can name particular packages as ones that should
> never be installed on a particular system under any circumstances?
> I write this after having to uninstall CUPS for what seems like at
> least the dozenth time.  It and a couple of other packages get
> pulled in by seemingly random packages, and I'd rather not have
> them anywhere near my system.

If you are building from pkgsrc you can add a definition for "BROKEN" in
the Makefile of the offending packages, say like this:

    BROKEN=             we do not ever need/want ncurses!!!

and then anything attempting to pull them in will be stopped mid-build
and you'll have a chance to ferret out the reason why they were being
pulled in and hopefully be able to devise a work-around to avoid them.

Watch out for things that the pkgsrc infrastructure tries to decide upon
based on whether it thinks they are "built into" the host OS or not....

                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<>       +1 250 762-7675