RE: Would you recommend NetBSD for…?

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:41:31 -0500, Steve wrote:

I us it as a firewall on really old hardware.
Keeps me fresh and confuses the script kiddies.

Quite :-)

At a $workplace I use to use a pared-down build on some distinctly under-specced sparc boxes to provide DNS (public & private views) / DHCP / NTP services across a reasonably large network. Went from 1.6 though to about 3 before I stopped looking after that. Once you got the hang of it, the ability to buld standby boxes with nothing more than an install CD and a floppy disk (remember them ? ;-) with little more than a copy of /etc/rc.conf on it was quite satisfying. Freaked the Windoze guys out :)

David

Steve

Many years ago I used to run a FreeNet on abandoned Macs and NetBSD. They
ran great and it was a great second life for that hardware but when OS X matured I switched over. Sadly, the promise of OS X as a serious server solution never came to fruition and Lion has ended that dream for me.

Now that I've returned to NetBSD it seems that the attitude and intent of
NetBSD has changed slightly.  It seems to be much more geared toward
students,
researchers and experimentalists.

So, the question I have is "Would you as a NetBSD user recommend NetBSD for
production servers? Why or why not?"

Robert Schmid
RaptorNet